As part of my veggie centered challenge I have been finding all sorts of ways to see vegetables in a new light and make them the star of my meal.  I made this for dinner last night and not only was it SO filling, but I didn't feel bloated or huge afterwards.  This meal uses roasted sweet potatoes and a hearty kale and spinach salad and your family won't know that it's "healthy food".

BBQ Roasted Sweet Potatoes

First, I cleaned a large sweet potato and then cut it into cubes.  I decided to not peel the potato because it's easier and I don't mind the skin at all.

Preheat your oven to 425 F.
Spread the sweet potatoes on a baking sheet and toss with extra virgin olive oil (about 1-2 tablespoons).
Next, sprinkle with sea salt and cracked black pepper.
Bake for 15 minutes then turn the potatoes over.
Return the potatoes to the oven to bake for another 15 minutes for a total of 30 minutes.
Remove the sweet potatoes and drizzle with your favorite BBQ sauce while the potatoes are hot.  I only used about a tablespoon.


Kale and Spinach Salad

This salad was inspired by The Chew's Kale Hero Salad.

  • 2 cups baby kale
  • 1 cup baby spinach
  • 1 tablespoon chopped almonds
  • 1/2 fuji apple chopped
  • 1 teaspoon fresh ginger minced
  • 1-2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
  • 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1-2 slices fresh mango chopped
Combine the apples, vinegar, and ginger in the bottom of a large bowl. 
Whisk in the olive oil and combine.
Add the greens and toss.  Once the dressing has coated the lettuce then add the mango and apples.
This salad is huge and makes one large serving or two smaller ones.

Enjoy!


Leave a Reply



Instagram
Powered By Blogger

Followers

Featured Posts