Happy Easter ya'll! In celebration of Easter I thought I would make something carrot-y and share.  I whipped up these muffins this morning and they are so tasty.  Not only are they outrageously moist but they have all the tradition flavors of carrot cake, but use healthier ingredients.  I was inspired by The Fountain Avenue Kitchen and decided to adapt her recipe a bit further to my pantry and taste.


Healthier Carrot "Cake" Muffins

  • 1 cup white whole wheat flour (or wwheat pastry or gluten free mix)
  • 1/4 cup almond meal
  • 1/4 cup coconut flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • 4 tablespoons melted coconut oil
  • 1 cup milk (I used unsweetened vanilla almond milk)
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 inch piece crystallized ginger, minced
  • 1 1/2 cup carrots grated (I used the pulp from the Sweetheart Juice)
  • 1 cup crushed pineapple
  • 1/2 cup raisins *see note
  • turbinado sugar (sugar in the raw) for sprinkling (optional)

  • Preheat oven to 350F.
  • Combine the first seven ingredients and whisk to get rid of any lumps.
  • Combine the egg, oil, milk, and vanilla extract in a seperate bowl and whisk to combine.
  • Pour wet ingredients into the dry ones and combine until moist.
  • Stir in the crystallized ginger.
  • Divide mixture into greased muffin pan (no liners).
  • If using the sugar in the raw, sprinkle the tops before baking (about 1/4 tsp per muffin)
  • Bake 35-40 minutes or until tooth pick comes out clean.
Notes:
  • I pulsed my raisins in the food processor for a minute until they were a paste because I am not a fan of the texture of them whole.  You could pulse them like I did or leave them whole.
Enjoy and Happy Easter!


Leave a Reply



Instagram
Powered By Blogger

Followers

Featured Posts